The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Invalid argument supplied for foreach() - Line: 331 - File: global.php PHP 5.6.40 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php 331 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php 23 require_once

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
medicaid process ?
05-21-2012, 06:09 AM,
medicaid process ?
My mother's Medicaid application has been in the works for over 1 year and medicaid keeps asking for the same bank records over & over as well as other financial documents. When I question this they have no answer and tell me I have no right to inquire.
My question is does any organization/persons monitor the medicaid application process ? I dont know if 1 year is a long time for the medicaid application but I would like some sort of idea. Thank you.
05-22-2012, 01:47 PM,
RE: medicaid process ?
Of course you have a right to inquire! One year is way too long. Assuming you bring in all the records necessary, federal law requires them to decide within 90 days at the absolute latest. Here's the actual federal regulation about this:

Timely determination of eligibility.
(a) The agency must establish time standards for determining eligibility and inform the applicant of what they are. These standards may not exceed:
___(1) Ninety days for applicants who apply for Medicaid on the basis of disability; and
___(2) Forty-five days for all other applicants.
(b) The time standards must cover the period from the date of application to the date the agency mails notice of its decision to the applicant.
-------------------------------
Unfortunately, as a practical matter these time standards are often ignored. Short of suing the state to compel the issuance of a decision, there really is not much you can do to hasten the agency's decision process. However, usually it makes no difference in the long run, since the date of coverage will always be the same regardless of when the state's decision is issued.

I would request to meet with the caseworker's supervisor. If you do not have money for an attorney, you should try to obtain assistance from a legal aid-type organization in your city or from an advocacy group run by a local law school. Often the law students can move this process along. Good luck!
05-22-2012, 09:18 PM,
K. Gabriel Heiser,
Thank you very much for your help !
Patrick
08-18-2012, 08:58 AM,
I don't understand why you were told that you have no right to inquire. That's kind of strange.
My mother has been in a similar position as your mother. She has actually been waiting for years now, but I think she still did not get it. The long processes can be a little discouraging, but keep on going and do NOT give up.
I wish you and your mother all the best in your process.