The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Invalid argument supplied for foreach() - Line: 331 - File: global.php PHP 5.6.40 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php 331 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php 23 require_once

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Applying for my Parents
07-09-2011, 07:54 AM,
Applying for my Parents
Right now my parents have their own home but they are both on social security. My father suffers from quickly deteriorating alzheimer's and I see at some point in the future he is likely going to have to be put somewhere to receive proper treatment.

What can we do to plan ahead for this and what should we be aware of? Unfortunately there are not enough private resources in the family to likely afford nursing home treatment, so I do not really know what our options are at this point.

Thanks.

07-11-2011, 08:44 AM,
RE: Applying for my Parents
It sounds like your father will qualify for Medicaid based on your parents' assets. So the most important item to take care of is protection of their home. This is critical, because the state will be entitled to make a claim against the assets of your father following his death, for the total amount of Medicaid benefits paid to the nursing home during his lifetime.

There are a number of techniques available that can protect the home so that you are not forced to sell it to repay the state following your father's death. Some of these techniques vary, depending on the state your parents live in. For a great discussion of all the various rules, exceptions and techniques, I suggest my book "How to Protect Your Family's Assets from Devastating Nursing Home Costs: Medicaid Secrets", available here: http://www.MedicaidSecrets.com