The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Invalid argument supplied for foreach() - Line: 331 - File: global.php PHP 5.6.40 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php 331 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php 23 require_once

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Elder Care Help, Urgent
12-22-2013, 06:13 AM,
Elder Care Help, Urgent
We are exhausting all avenues reaching out to get help for our dad of 83 years old. Surgery in early October was necessary to remove scar tissue in his back as he suddenly lost all feeling in both legs, in June he had hip surgery that had gone very well. Not only was the 2nd surgery not effective but he has lost strength & feeling in both arms & hands. He is in a rehab facility, contracted the shingles a month ago & has 3 weeks left under Medicare & then will be discharged, sick & unable to walk, lift a cup of water or have the ability to help himself. We don't know what happened during the unsucessful surgery that left him unable to have use of his arms & hands & did not correct the loss of feelings in his legs which the surgery was all about.
The rehab center has offered to keep him at a cost of $10,000.00 per month & we can't find any home health care under Medicare. The man has no assets except social security & a small pension check plus owes money on a car he can no longer drive.
I live with my dad & earn minimum wage which obviously can't remotely come close to the thousands of dollars for Home Health Care. Every place ie: Medicaid, Social Services & more that we contact either tell us we can't help or don't return our calls. The VA Home would take a minimum 6 months to process & that also would be a financial burden.
My dad fought for this country & now most agencies don't offer any help with our pleas for help. How can a facility release a patient to go home when they know he would need full time health care but is financially unable to receive the necessary care. Medicaid won't even let us make an appointment until late February, well past the discharge date.
This is an urgent situation, does anyone know where/who to turn to?
01-02-2014, 02:11 PM,
RE: Elder Care Help, Urgent
It sounds like your Dad would qualify for both VA Pension as well as Medicaid. I would keep trying to set up an appointment with the state Medicaid bureau. Once you have started the application process, the nursing home cannot evict him.
01-23-2014, 06:09 AM,
RE: Elder Care Help, Urgent
(01-02-2014, 02:11 PM)K. Gabriel Heiser Wrote:  It sounds like your Dad would qualify for both VA Pension as well as Medicaid. I would keep trying to set up an appointment with the state Medicaid bureau. Once you have started the application process, the nursing home cannot evict him.

With out question, do apply for VA benifits - as much as $ 1000 a month - i got them for my mom 2 years ago - there is a fourm - i don't recall the name but search " VA fourm " - administrator's name is Deddie - outstanding fourm - not easy to do but doable - good luck