The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Invalid argument supplied for foreach() - Line: 331 - File: global.php PHP 5.6.40 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php 331 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php 23 require_once

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Medicaid Lookback Questions - Michigan
11-15-2014, 11:01 AM,
Medicaid Lookback Questions - Michigan
Mom currently (and temporarily) resides with us in our home with Medicare-covered home health care services, and a private pay aide while we work. She qualifies for nursing home care but had horrible experiences in the last two rehab facilities that she was in after a qualified hospital stay. We are looking into a senior foster home for her next step. She only has Social Security Income and a very small retirement check each month. No assets. No VA benefits apply. She has Medicare & BCBS for healthcare expenses. Senior foster care would minimally be double her net income after insurance premiums and copays. She has stage 4 Parkinson's and is a brittle diabetic. There is a good chance that her needs will advance and that a nursing home will be her only option. Question is.... if we subsidize her foster care expense now, once she qualifies for Medicaid for long-term care in a nursing home, will Medicaid expect us to continue contributing to her care for the same amount that we did with the foster home? Also, if we were to take tax deductions for her being a dependent (all of her income goes towards her private duty aide and some groceries that are for her use only), would we be penalized by Medicaid for that dollar amount? Lastly, previous to going to the hospital/rehab and living with us, she lived with my sister and paid rent. Would Medicaid penalize my sister for that amount, i.e. expect her to pay it back? Thanks in advance for your help.
01-27-2015, 08:05 AM,
RE: Medicaid Lookback Questions - Michigan
1. No, you will not be expected to continue to pay for your mother after she is on Medicaid. You are not legally obligated to do so.

2. No, you will not be penalized for taking your mother as a tax deduction.

3. If your mother's rental payments did not exceed the fair market value of what she received in return (i.e., she paid the "going rate" for the rental) then she did not make any gifts to your sister and Medicaid cannot penalize your mother when she later applies for Medicaid (and your sister will not have to pay it back).